Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The ten verses Marcus Grodi never saw in the Bible

...until becoming Catholic.

I'm reproducing them here without commentary. They deserve to be showcased without any clutter.


  1. Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the Lord with all you heart, And lean not unto your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him. And He will direct your paths."

  2. 1 Timothy 3: 14-15 (The Church)
    "I hope to come to you soon, but I am writing these instructions to you so that, if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth."

  3. 2 Timothy 3:14-17 (Scripture)
    "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work."

  4. 2 Thessalonians 2:15 (Sacred Tradition)
    "So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter."

  5. Matthew 16:13-19 (Peter)
    "And Jesus answered him, 'Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.'"

  6. Revelation 14:13 (Importance of works)
    "And I heard a voice from heaven saying, 'Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord henceforth.' 'Blessed indeed,' says the Spirit, 'that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them!"

  7. Romans 10:14-15 (Ordination)
    "But how are men to call upon him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without a preacher? And how can men preach unless they are sent?"

  8. John 15: 4 and 6:56 (Eucharist)
    "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me."


    "He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. "


  9. Colossians 1:24 (Suffering)
    "Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church,"

  10. Luke 1:46-49 (Mary)
    "And Mary said, 'My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden. For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.'"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these. Just watched an EWTN rerun of Marcus discussing these same verses. I love Marcus and his Journey Home show.
- Dale & Barry

Ed Pie said...

Yeah, I caught that show too. I first posted this after the first time I saw it; I tried looking them up for reference but had trouble finding them, so I DVRed the Saturday evening repeat and threw up the post so I'd always know where to find his list. The Journey Home is my favorite EWTN program. I don't get Catholic radio very well where I live, so I haven't heard his Deep In Scripture program, but I hope someday when he has a guest call in sick, he can revisit the verses and expound upon them a little more, or talk about some of the other verses he mentioned taking on new meaning as his own journey progressed.