Thursday, May 11, 2006

Should we call it "Mercy Eugenics" or "Mercy Genocide?"

Via Amy Welborn:

UK euthanasia legislation fails to gain the support of the people it's intended to help.

I think it's telling that this kind of "help" is not wanted. Question is, is anyone listening?

I imagine something like the liver donation scene in Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life," only darker and more obnoxious:


"Hi, we're from the government, and we're here to help."
"No, actually, I'm fine."
"Of course not."
"What! Wait!"
"Oh, do relax. Here, Mr. Griffiths will just run upstairs and fill the tub, and after you get to know me a little I'll hold you down in it."
"No!"
"Please come off it, sir. Your neighbor across the street, Mr. Foster, didn't complain."
"No--wha? He was only diabetic!"
"Yes! You may as well give up trying to roll yourself out of here; it won't work. Foster was much more mobile than you, and we ended up shivving him on the way home from the pub last Thursday."
"'E couldn't very well have complained, then, could he?"
"I don't think he would have."
"Right, and even if he did, it would have just shown he wasn't lucid enough to agree with you, wouldn't it?"
"Now you're getting it!"
"Yet somehow I still have a problem with this arrangement."

No comments: