Monday, December 05, 2005

Remembrance is not Symbolism

I don't think it's necessarily metaphor, either, but my point is that a sacrament is not less than a metaphor.

We set off fireworks on Independence Day to commemorate or symbolize the artillery used during the Revolutionary War, but fireworks are still explosives.

The turkey, stuffing, cranberries, and whatnot are symbolic of the feasts we read about when studying the first celebrations of thanksgiving in the New World, but turkey, stuffing, cranberries, and whatnot themselves constitute an actual feast.

Saying a ritual starting with bread and wine represents a ritual that started with bread and wine strikes me as disingenuous. If you want to say the bread represents the flesh and the wine represents the blood, well, you've got a decent place to start, but then you've got all those "This IS my body, this IS my blood" lines to deal with right out of the gate....

No comments: